Thursday, March 22, 2007

 

What's That Horrible Smell? (Or, The Death Of Frosty's Fan)

On my 24th birthday, I bought a pedestal fan for my room. Being that I'd just moved into a house that didn't have cieling fans, a pedestal fan was in order. (If you live in Queensland, you will know why. Humidity and heat.) This fan has served me faithfully, except in the instance of storms and power blackouts. (Obviously, no power = no fan. This isn't rocket science, people!)

Anyhoo, this evening, I noticed a wierd smell in my room. Thinking it was the batteries that I had put on charge, I unplugged the charger and took out the very hot batteries. About 15 or so minutes later, I could still smell this awful smell, a lovely electrical burny smell wafting through my room. Looking around (which isn't easy to do in the dark), I checked under the desk (as I'm a bit paranoid about my computer shitting itself again) and then realised that the smell was coming from behind me. I put my nose to the fan motor and sure enough, THAT is what was making the smell. I turned it off, and then turned it back onto the setting I usually use (medium) and was greeted with the fan blade turning very slowly. Low and High setting worked ok, but my usual did not.

Alas, as I suspected, my fan was indeed buggered. So after "borrowing" the fan from the lounge room, tomorrow I will have to go out and buy a new fan, as well as finish my end-of-bed clean-up.

It's been a good 4 years and 4 or so months since buying the fan... and to think I had been thinking of buying a new one recently. Guess that was a sign, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home