Friday, February 09, 2007

 

The Spiciest "MILD" Thing I've Ever Eaten.

I decided to try a new product for dinner tonight. "Pattu" brand Paneer Butter Masala. It said "Mild" on the box (I like Indian food, but not overly spicy), and it was cottage cheese chunks in a creamy tomato sauce. I thought to myself that trying something new would be a change for the "get your own dinner" night... plus I'm getting a little bored with garlic bread.

Here's the box:



Inside was a pouch that you snip the corner from and then microwave for 2 minutes, then serve. I looked inside, and I could see a reddish orange sauce. After emptying the microwave (the house stores its bread in there, long story), and snipping off the corner of the pouch, I nuked it for actually a bit less than 2 minutes, seeing as it was already at room temperature and it's been a hot day. (Again. Fucking tropical cyclone weather up north.)

When I pulled it out, it was scaldingly hot and sizzling on the inside. I poured the contents into a bowl... it looked what can only be described as bubbling red sauce, MORE bubbling red sauce... and brownish-grey looking square lumps. It smelled appetising, despite it's sewerage looking appearance. (Isn't it odd that the grossest looking things turn out to usually be the tastiest?)

I bought a half french stick to go with it, so I tore off half of that, and grabbed my spoon. I wouldn't say it wasn't tasty, because, it was, even if the texture of the cottage cheese was a bit like badly cured tofu. The only problem was that it was really really REALLY spicy. I'm talking "let's drop our spoon and run to the kitchen for a BIG glass of milk mid-meal" spicy.

It SAID "mild" on the box. It must have been Madras Mild (Madras is known for having the hottest/spiciest curries in the world), because by the time I had finished using my bread to sop up the AMPLE sauce (there was still sauce left when I had finished), I was drinking more milk than I was eating the stuff. The cottage cheese looked like the greyed out version of what was on the box, and in much smaller chunks. And as I said, it WAS tasty, in spite of the overpowering spiciness.

I don't think I would eat this again, unless I was feeling sadistic, or was extremely drunk at the time.

1 spoon out of 5... for those who like extreme spice only.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home