Monday, January 08, 2007

 

Holy Folks?!

I stumbled across THESE today, at my local K-Mart. And let me admit I was the first to say out loud "WHAT THE FUCK?" and to pick up my dropped-in-horror jaw. Why was my jaw dropped in horror, I hear you ask. (Or not.) Well, as a non-practising, non-religious person, I was actually offended to see this BLATANTLY obvious attempt to push religion on children.

Now I'm guessing this is some sanitised pseudo-Christian attempt to either a: promote toys that are violence free and teach love and happiness (yeah right, wait until the kids read the bible later), or b: (more likely) a blatant attempt to get more kids in church, by teaching them that "Jesus is COOL!" (ugh.)

I'm not sure whether this was a delivery fuck up, and they misread the delivery notice (which should have gone to some goddamn Christian shop), or whether they actually meant to deliver then to K-Mart. but what I do know, is that people have the right to freedom of religion, and as such, children should not be subjected to this sort of thing. "Play and Pray with us"?! I didn't look into the packaging, but I wouldn't be surprised if each one came with a copy of The Lord's Prayer, or a free bible, or something.

And no doubt, some religious groups are going to be more outraged than I am at this. What the fuck is next? Plush Mohammed?! Plushie Allah in a towel with a free copy of the Koran? (I wonder if the Allah model will come with a gun?) How about Plushie Buddha...or Plushie Ganesha? The mind boggles.

I'm off to buy me a Plushie Satan! Complete with Pitchfork. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home