Monday, March 12, 2007

 

Project Frostilicus: The Beginning

Today was the intended beginnings of Project Frostilicus.

For a bit of background:

3 weekends ago, I came down with a cold. Friday I felt like complete garbage, but still went out to get tickets for Nine Inch Nails in May. Saturday when I woke up, I found that my back had overnight decided to do it's trick of "fuck you, I'm going to cause you total agony for the next week or so!"

So after a few days of this excruciating pain, on the Monday I caved in and went to the doctor. (I don't go to see a doctor unless I'm in serious pain.) I explained that the pain in my back felt like someone was dragging a razorblade across the base of my spine, and that the pain was travelling down into my knee. So the doctor sent me off for x-rays and a CT scan. I booked in my scan for the next day (Tuesday). I went and had my x-ray and scan (Those gowns they give you to change into leave NOTHING to the imagination.), and made my follow-up appointment for Thursday, as the doctor I go to doesn't work Wednesdays.

Went for my appointment... turns out my back is ok, I just need to lose weight (which I am plainly aware of, and swore to myself that once I was feeling more mobile I would get off my ass and get some exercise). By then this pain had gone into my knee, to the point where it was stopping me from sleeping at night, and no painkiller on earth seemed to touch the achey feeling. So I got sent off for more x-rays, this time of my left knee and left ankle. (I sprained my ankle 2 years ago and stupidly didn't see a doctor about it even though it was painful and swollen for months afterwards.)

Walked back to the x-ray place, which is the same distance as my doctor's is from my house, just in the opposite direction. Got my x-rays done (without having to change into a ghastly gown, thank god!) and then walked back to the doctor's surgery. So there's nothing wrong structurally with my ankle, and what keeps bugging it could just be tendon damage. My knee, however, has a touch of arthritis in it. I'm not even THIRTY yet, and my knee has arthritis. Oh well. Time to whip out the glucosamine and get some more exercise.

So that's the background.

So I thought to myself about exercise. Admittedly, I've been needing to lose weight for a while. But for whatever reason, be it lack of interest or just plain laziness, I didn't bother. I got enough exercise to keep things stable due to walking virtually everywhere. But soon enough, you go and buy new clothes and suddenly you're buying one size up than you used to.

So getting fed up with it, I decided to do something about it. I figured I can not eat as much as I usually do, nix the junk food, and get my ass moving. The only bugger is the climate of this place, which is humid, and right now stinking hot to boot. I've researched a local swimming pool, and as soon as I get some togs, I'll get my ass down there and swim my lil socks off.

All in good time... and after my walk today, I am buggered. This weather really doesn't help. *frowny face*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home