Sunday, December 25, 2005

 

Bah Humbug Dinner, Frostilicus Style!

Having virtually no housemates home this christmas, I decided to not exactly celebrate, but to at least make myself a nice meal. So I decided to roast a pork fillet and some veges. Knowing literally nothing about roasting anything, I found a recipe off the net that sounded do-able. And of course, me being me, I adapted it to suit my tastes.

Bits and Pieces:

1 500g pork fillet
75g blue cheese
100g Philadelphia cream cheese
3 tsp Gourmet Garden Basil paste
1 Bunch Asparagus
4 potatoes
10 mushrooms
1tsp Gourmet Garden Garlic Paste
1 head garlic
Olive Oil
Butter
Mixed Herbs
Paprika
Black Pepper
Skewers
Sholder Ham (optional)
3 cloves fresh garlic

Here's what you do:

Filling:

In a small bowl mix together the blue cheese and cream cheese, along with some garlic, until combined. Then add 2tsp basil paste and mix in, along with some black pepper and paprika (this is to your taste). Slice and dice 2 mushrooms and add to the mixture. Cover and chill. This will make enough to stuff the fillet and the potatoes.

Meat:

Make a cut in the pork fillet all the way along. open the fillet, and then spoon the cheese mixture into the cavity. Close the cavity using the skewers, if this is not possible lengthwise, you can fold the fillet over in half and do it that way (that's the way I did it, anyway, because I fucked it up to begin with lol). Make slits in the meaty part of the pork and stuff with smushed fresh garlic. (That is, you flatten the clove of garlic with your knife)

Vegies:

Take the asparagus and cut about 1 inch off the bottom of the stem. Boil some water and pour over the asparagus in a container. Cut the 4 potatoes in half and scoop out a small area in the middle of each half. Stuff the cheese mixture into the hollowed out area. Wash the mushrooms and cut them in half. Peel the outer skin off the head of garlic and slice the top off it so that the top of the cloves are exposed.

Putting it all together:

Preheat the oven to 200 C. Take a large oven tray, and drizzle some olive oil on the bottom. (At this point I sliced off some shoulder ham and put it on the bottom of the tray where I was going to put my fillet, but this is optional. I only did it cuz when I sliced into my fillet i fucked it up and nearly sliced it in half lol) Place your skewered fillet into the tray. Drain the asparagus and place around the fillet. Rub the mushrooms in some butter and arrange around the fillet. Arrange the potatoes around as well, and put the head of garlic in one of the corners. I STILL had cheese mixture left over, so I put some on top of the fillet as well as over some of the vegies. Sprinkle herbs over everything, and then drizzle some olive oil as well, making sure that the garlic has olive oil drizzled on it.

Here's the before shot:



I cooked it for about an hour and a half, by which time everything as cooked perfectly....except the potatoes. I'm told potatoes are tricky to cook at the best of times, and they were still a bit too firm for my liking. I'm one of those people who likes my potatoes all soft. Here's the after shot:



MMM.... tasty! The asparagus was a melt-in-your-mouth consistency.. the meat was nice and tender and the mushrooms were perfect too. And for dessert I had some pudding and custard.. I don't really do xmas, but its nice to have a special meal once in a while :P

Mouth-Wateringly yours,

~Frostilicus~

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Drools*

That looked extremely edible...

Nice work Agent #235...

Now I need something to eat...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home