Wednesday, November 16, 2005

 

Lennon's Killer Tells Why He Did It

Nothing could have stopped me: John Lennon killer
Wednesday Nov 16 06:46 AEST

Mark David Chapman, the man who shot dead John Lennon 25 years ago, will be heard describing how he was on an unstoppable mission to find his own personality by murdering the former Beatle.

In a documentary to be aired on the NBC network, Chapman, now 50, describes how he went through with the killing and shot Lennon five times in the back outside the Dakota apartment complex in New York on December 8, 1980.

"I was under total compulsion," Chapman says.

"I'm thoroughly convinced in my conscience and in my heart that there was nothing I could do beyond that point to help myself, totally convinced of that.

"It was like a train, a runaway train, there was no stopping it. No matter — nothing could have stopped me," he says.

Chapman's remarks are contained on audiotapes recorded back in 1991 and 1992. The tapes are part of a documentary to be broadcast by Britian's Channel 4 television on the actual anniversary of Lennon's death next month.

Chapman, who was arrestd at the scene of the murder, is currently serving a 20 years to life prison sentence.

He was denied parole for a third time last year after the parole board cited the "extreme malicious intent" of his crime and said releasing him would undermine respect for the law.

On the tapes, Chapman offers a bitter rationale for his decision to kill Lennon.

"There was a successful man who kind of had the world on a chain so to speak and there I was not even a link of that chain, just a person who had no personality. And something in me just broke," he says.

"And I remember thinking perhaps my identity would be found in the killing of John Lennon."

He also recounts the actual murder on a cold, windy day in Manhattan when he saw Lennon's limousine pull up outside the Dakota building.

"And I know that, that it's him, I have this incredible feeling," he says.

"I heard a voice in my head, saying 'do it, do it, do it'. And as he passed me I pulled out the gun, aimed at his back and pulled the trigger five times in succession."

Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, has repeatedly lobbied to keep Chapman behind bars, saying he posed a continued threat to her family.

===

So, how do you find your identity in committing murder? And not just any murder, someone as famous as John Lennon, who was not only a great musician, but a man who supported the idea of peace? I'm sure it's not going to make anyone feel any better, least of all Lennon's family to know this... they'd feel much better having him still alive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buh... The killing of the people...

Compulsion = Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Sounds like someone was vying for attention. And he got it.

20 years is NOT enough.

12:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home