Monday, November 07, 2005

 

Video Review - Madonna - Hung Up

Oh dear. Bearing in mind, as stated before, I have been a fan of Madonna for quite a long time. The last 15-17 years in fact. Back then, when I was 10 or 11, I could happily watch Madonna videos all day long. Even up until a couple of years ago, same thing. I think she's becoming a bit like Marilyn Manson for me, I can listen to her (maybe not so much in small doses like MM), but I can't watch her. I got a hold of the video clip for Hung Up, her new ABBA-destroying single, and let me try and describe it for you all...

We start out with a hand coming through a door into a dark room. The hand flicks a switch, and lights flicker on in a mirrored room. Ok, it's a dance studio. Madonna walks into the room in a blue tracksuit (oh how very 80's) carrying what looks to be a giant ghetto blaster with 4 giant speakers on it (again, oh how very 80's). She sets it down and takes off the tracksuit, revealing a very 80's looking pink leotard, with what looks to be a purple belt with sequins all over it, fishnets and high heels. She flicks a switch on previously mentioned ghetto blaster, and we start hearing her voice "Time goes by so slowly..." as she does some warm up stretches and some pouty poses for the mirrors. The beat of the song fades in gently and we see Madonna's warm-up efforts intercut with some "kids on the roof" with a suspiciously similar looking ghetto blaster nodding their heads to the beat.

This is about where the appeal of the clip falls flat on it's face for me, folks. Madonna yuks around the studio floor pulling these dance moves that are a bit too cheesy for my liking (yes, even worse than mick and david in Dancing In The Streets), and in that outfit...ugh... I found myself almost screaming "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!" at the screen. She seems to be totally overdoing the hip-shaking moves, and sorry, but that outfit she's wearing? Might have looked good on her 20 years ago, but not in 2005 and not at the age of 47. so we have about 3 minutes of "leotard hell" and then we cut to Madge wandering through the streets of some city (i'm assuming it's London, cuz there's no other city I know of that has black cabs), and thank GOD, she's wearing a jacket and a pair of jeans, much more flattering than THAT leotard. Sorry, but there's something completely wrong about her in that get-up.. it's just not flattering at all, I think it's too high a cut in the groin area and shows off a little too much of her ass.

Anyway, we get a nice slow-mo section with the "Time goes by so slowly..." mantra-thing repeated, and thumping disco beat, some guy breakdancing, and some black guy getting an up-close-n-personal view of Madonna's nether bits, disco lights, and then an image I DIDN'T need, Madonna back in that f*#'g leotard slow-mo humping the ghetto blaster. And lastly, we have what I consider to be the only decent footage in the video, Madonna in green shirt and jeans doing the leotard dance routine on a knock-off Dance Dance Revolution machine surrounded by a dancing crowd... That's much more appealing to me than the goddamn leotard, that's for sure.


*shudder*

Overall, I'm not overly impressed with this clip. I've seen way better in terms of Madonna videos (hell, Deeper and Deeper was MUCH better, so was Ray Of Light), and while I realise the genres are different, I got much more enjoyment out of seeing NiN's clip for Only. I'm giving this one ... 2 reels out of 5... for the last minute and a half of the clip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home