Tuesday, November 08, 2005

 

Noodles Part 3!

For this review, I'm going to try another new-to-Frostilicus product, Wokka Stir Fried Cup Noodles = Karate Beef Flavour. I laughed when I saw the packaging, purely because of the "Karate Beef" name and the cute "karate man" drawing on it. So I decided to give them a go as well as trying the Peanut Satay ones again, figuring I could give you all something to laugh at by doing yet another noodle post. Plus, for the good of the world, Frostilicus feels it's important to advise on the merits (or otherwise) of products available on the market!





The package comes with a cardboard outer wrapping, which when removed, leaves us with a plastic cup, wrapped in plastic. The cardboard wrapping has 2 different methods listed, the "conventional" and the "stir fry". The "conventional" is the usual fare: fill with boiling water, add flavouring sachets, cover, leave for 3 minutes, stir well, enjoy. The "stir fry" method is as follows: Open lid partly, remove fork and all sachets. Carefully add boiling water to the inner ring, close foil lid. Allow to leave for 3-4 minutes. Pour off half of the water. Add all sachets (seasoning, oil, sweet sauce) to noodles. mix thoroughly. ENJOY your stir fry.





I wander out to the kitchen and boil the kettle, unwrapping my noodle package while I wait. Enclosed in the cup I find the following: a folding 3 pronged fork, 1 "seasoning" sachet, 1 "oily sludge" sachet, and 1 sachet of my favourite: sweet sticky dark soy! The kettle clicks off, so I pour water onto the noodles and cover with the foil lid, placing the unfolded fork on top to hold it down. (Which I didn't have much luck doing, the fork wasn't heavy enough, but I managed!)





I wait the prescribed time, stirring my noodles in the meantime to break them up just a little bit. Then I suddenly think "How am I going to drain half the water without losing noodles?", but I managed to do it. After draining out half of the water, I added the flavour sachet, the sweet sticky soy and the oily sludge sachet.



I then proceeded to attempt to stir my noodles with the plastic folding fork. This proved near impossible, as the plastic folding fork kept UNfolding itself while I was trying to stir. This made it very difficult and very frustrating to stir the noodles. I think better fork design may need to be looked into. I come back to my desk and chow down.



Mmmm... Processed. To their credit, the noodles actually stayed hot all the way to the end of the snack. To their detriment, I nearly gagged on the salt content of the brothy stuff that was at the bottom of the cup. Also to their detriment, I don't exactly recognise the flavour as being either "beef" or "karate", more a sort of oriental mixture of sorts. There's a bit of a bite to them spice-wise, but not so much that your eyes will be watering in agony and you'll be rushing for the closest glass o' water. On the other hand, the small bite does not make up for the lack of described flavour... I was more expecting a karate-chop-to-the-jaw effect, but then I guess Malaysian made noodles sporting a Japanese idea doesn't go down too well. I'm just trying to understand that the little Karate-Chop noodle man lied to me this time! :-(

2 forks out of 5... I'll stick to the Peanut Satay ones, methinks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home