Tuesday, January 08, 2008

 

Happy 2008 and a Product Review

Hello and Happy New Year to all the readers (all..what.. 5 of you? lol) of TFP. For the first post of 2008, it's the return of the food review. Tonight's guinea pig product was Ayam Brand Asian Meal: Sweet + Sour Tuna and Rice. I picked this one up for 2 reasons... the first being I couldn't bloody decide what else to have for dinner, and the second being it was on sale at $2.99. Clearance sale, no less, which means it's probably not going to be on the shelf for much longer.

And with GOOD FUCKING REASON! This was your usual "nuke for a couple of minutes in the microwave" job, and to it's credit, it came with a fork AND a serviette, which i didn't use, but I thought it was cute. The downside though, was half of the actual product itself. Ok, I'll be honest, 75% of the product. I didn't take pics of the sachets and everything, but I will relate my experience.



Here's the box itself. The box is more a cardboard wrapper surrounding the actual plastic box. The rice and sauce/tuna came in separate sachets. Now here's where the first dubious snag occured. With packaged, pre-cooked rice, I almost always squeeze the packet first before opening it, to sort of "fluff" the rice and separate it. This rice must have been packed too airtight or something, cuz the fluffing just wasn't happening. I took it out of it's sachet, and it was ROCK hard. I added a little water when I put it into the plastic container, and then emptied the sauce/tuna sachet on top. After nuking it for a few minutes, I took it out to stir, and attempting to stir the rice was like attempting to stir rubber. Almost impossible. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and sat down to eat.



I tried to stir the rice up as much as possible, but some of it still remained rubbery. After a few forkfuls, I discovered the chili.



Now, on the box it said "MILD" (and I stress MILD). There was nothing mild about it. I was about as MILD as the Pattu Paneer Butter Masala product I had a while ago. The chili that was in it was small, and still had all it's seeds in it. Chilis are more spicy the smaller they get, and the seeds are the spiciest in the chili itself.

An overly generous 2 chomps out of 5. In spite of the rubber rice and the overpowering chili.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home