Thursday, January 10, 2008

 

Halfass Recipe: Marinated Kangaroo Steaks

Yep, that's right, I said Kangaroo! While my housemates were gone (and they are now back...BAH!), I found myself with the luxury of being able to eat what I consider to be real food (as opposed to the usual dreck of sausages, sausages and more sausages). So while in Coles one day, I was looking in the meat section, and saw that they had Kangaroo available. I hadn't eaten kangaroo in years, not since I was a kid, and decided to be daring and give it a go. They had sausages (which I tried first and thoroughly enjoyed), steaks and seasoned mini roasts. New Year's I had one of the mini roasts, which was delicious... it could have been cooked a little bit longer, but I was hungry. The meat was sweet and tender, and it fed Frosty quite well indeed.

So anyway. Back to the recipe bit. Kangaroo steaks are available here in packs of three, usually 2 bigger steaks and a smaller one. They have a very strong smell, but don't be put off by it.

Ingredients for Marinade for 3 steaks:
======================================

1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt (you can also use fresh garlic if you wish, just make sure it's grated/crushed)
1 tsp barbecue spices (McCormick's or other)
1 tsp smoked paprika (McCormick's or other)
2 tbsp olive oil (or avocado oil if you have it)

To this you can add whatever suits your taste, such as chili powder, lime juice, lemon juice, etc. Basically mix all the ingredients together in an airtight container, put the steaks in and put the lid on the container. Then shake up the container to mix, and then store the container in the fridge until ready to cook, shaking occasionally.

The steaks are best prepared in a non-stick frying pan on a high heat... I fry them for 2 minutes on either side, so they are brown on either side, but still pink in the middle (medium rare). Do *NOT* overcook it, otherwise the meat will become tough and it will not be as enjoyable.

Kangaroo sausages you can cook just like normal sausages. They are smaller, but very much tastier. For those who wonder what kangaroo tastes like, it's like beef, but with a much stronger flavour. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could serve it up AS beef, and no one would know the difference.

Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous David said...

Dude screw your roommates I say eat roo as often as you like! At any rate be sure to try my favorite roo recipe Kangaroo Filets With Mustard

http://yovia.com/blogs/naturalingredients/

5:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home