Saturday, November 26, 2005

 

Oh Usher, There's Subtitles On My Movie...

Today's rant: people who bitch, moan and complain about subtitles on DVD's. I guess it's just my upbringing in a household where a lot of SBS Television was watched, but I grew up watching things with subtitles. While usually in different languages, a lot of SBS programming required subtitles. Now I don't know about you, but I would PREFER to watch foreign language programming subtitles, becuase, goshdarnit, I like to know what's being said! Now I live in a household of people who instantly write-off any programming or movies that are in a foreign language, due to the subtitle element. The complaint? "I can't keep up with the subtitles so there's no point in me watching it". Hence was their comment after I went to see Kung Fu Hustle earlier this year. It's a damn shame, becuase they are missing out on one damn funny film. The Chinese make some fantastic films... Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, to name just 2. Unfortunately though, these films end up almost laughable when they are re-dubbed into english, and as such, I have trouble watching re-dubbed films, purely for the fact that I can't stop laughing... They turn out more comical than anything, they get idiot actors who take away from the seriousness of the film. So, I'd much rather just watch it with subtitles.

I also watch my DVD's with the subtitles turned on. Why? Because I like to read what is being said. It's not because I'm completely deaf, but there's some films I've seen time and time again and I have no idea what a particular line actually was, as I just didn't hear it right the first 20 times. (Ok, so maybe I am a little deaf...damn loud music) These days I get annoyed when I get a DVD that has NO subtitles. I don't see what the big complaint is, to be honest. I'd much rather be right in quoting something from a movie, than quote it wrong and look like an idiot. But hey, I guess that's just me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Dances from one tree top to the next*

I have come to steal your dragons and make love to your wives! (Mouth still keeps movie after the sound has stopped)

I like subtitles too. I am a...read-y...person!

One who can't type today :(

1:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home