Monday, June 18, 2007

 

Brisbane Pride Fair Day 2007

June 16th, 2007 marked the 18th birthday of the Brisbane Pride Fair Day, its "coming of age". Myself and Green Gargoyle attended the day, the second for me, and the first for GG.

We braved the chilly winded weather and trekked the 10 or so minutes from South Brisbane train station to Musgrave Park. After going through the gate, we stopped off for a spot of lunch (Saté House rocks!) and I sms'ed a friend to ask if they were going to come. (In the end they didn't.)

We heard the drums of the Pride paraders as they reached the gate, and wandered over there... You're going to have to excuse my photos, I forgot my digital camera, so I took these with my phone, not completely awful quality, but no zoom....argh!


The drummers beyond the fence...


A huuuuuge rainbow flag...


Admittedly, I should have got closer for this shot.. This is the Brisbane Lesbian and Gay Pride Choir, of which a buddy of mine is a member. He wasn't there that day, though, as he wasn't feeling the best. But they are a great choir, and everytime I've heard them, they have been awesome.

There was another photo I took of the belly dancers, but there was a tent in the way, so you get to see like a head of one of the dancers and that's it....lol.

It turned out to be a sunny day, and I finally managed to pick up one of those silicone Pride wristbands, and a few other rainbow items, including a nifty hat! An interesting sticker I saw was one that said "F*#K HOMOPHOBIC RELIGIONS!", which was great, but the fact that it was a slogan of the Raelian movement, a UFO-based religion a la Scientology (and we all know how kooky THOSE people can be), kinda dulled the effect for me. And looking them up later on Wikipedia didn't make me any more interested in it, and neither did their website, particularly at the mention of the words "intelligent design".... UGH....give me a fucking bucket.

Other organisations that were there.... the Australian Labor Party, and the Democrats... but funnily enough, not the Liberal Party... (too conservative for something like a gay pride festival, I suppose) 3 different rainbow merch stores (and I bought stuff at each one), and all sorts of other interesting things.

The highlight of the day... probably the puppy dog I saw that had it's paws and tail dyed in rainbow colours. I thought that was cute! OH! and GG and I had our photo taken by someone from Q News... :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home